Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Hall of Famers (Essay by Cathy Gruman)

There's a great passage in the Bible (Hebrews 11)that lists all of these people who had faith in their particular circumstances. Some versions call it "The Triumph of Faith", some call it "The Hall of Fame". Sometimes the prize doesn't come within those circustances but at a much later time. I'm not a theologian so I won't try to explain it. Besides, if you read it, you'll get out of it what you should. I've noticed that when reading the Bible. After my walk to Starbucks early this foggy morning, I sat at my table to start my day off by meditating and praying, just asking God to help me through the day. Then my thoughts turned to thanking him for everything he has done in my life. Then he brought to mind people who have made a difference in my life from way back when I was growing up. Their words and actions have made such a strong impression that they have helped shape the course of my life as well as get me back on course many times. In some cases the scenarios are symbolic, like Kent Tucker's, who I list below. Their words and actions are constant whispers to me even today as I trudge forward for the prize. The funny thing is, not one of them preached to me. They just loved me in their own way. I'm calling them my "Hall of Famers". There are others not mentioned here, I'm just listing those who I feel compelled to write about this morning. I hope you enjoy - Cate.

My Hall of Famers (Cathy Gruman)

Eva Starky, a lady from my mom's church who always looked out for me.
Bob Biehl, a friend of my dad's, who asked me one day, "What do priorities mean to you?" He also told me to keep writing.
Ray Johnston, who let me tag along with him on many of his errands in Jr. High and High School, and looked out for me like his little sister.
Kent Tucker, a junior high counselor, who picked me up out of the ocean, during a rip tide. When he picked me up, he had a big smile on his face and said, "Are you okay?", then tossed me toward the shore. The water came to his waist, but I seemed to be drowning. This moment reminds me of how God has done that in my life, scoops me up and tosses me to shore, and the waves are never big for Him.
Sally, a junior high counselor, who spent time with me, Carol and Michelle. She was a very shy person, but put herself out there for us.
Steve Schibsted, a friend from high school who always accepted me.
Marilyn Benzel, a friend of my mom and dads, who is a great example of a woman who pursued her goals and finished college in her adult life. She is smart and funny and intelligent. I think of her when I want to quit my dreams.
Cliff Benzel, he opened the door for me for my first job at World Vision International. He's extremely intelligent and laid back; he has been a constant pillar.
Peter and Carol Schreck, a couple who reached out and welcomed me into their lives when they were in California. Smart, fun, insightful and loving.
Desiree, a friend who spent time with me when I was messing up my life and needed someone to talk to.
Jeff and Peg Seyfert, Family friends who have always been there for me. I know I can go there anytime and feel welcome.
Roger Beard, used to be the pastor at Parkcrest Church. About 10 years ago, my second visit to his church I put a note in the offering plate with my phone number, saying I wanted to lead a women's support group. He called me that week and invited me to come in and talk about it. I was amazed at his acceptance of me and his willingness to support me in my idea.
Kaye Beard, I called her out of the blue one day and asked if she would pray with me because I was really hurting and needed help. She said yes, and we met every Thursday for a few months in the women's bathroom lounge at Parkcrest just talking and praying together. We've been great friends ever since.
Jon and Joan Archer, they sort of adopted me as their babysitter during my junior high and high school years. I probably pestered them too much, but they kept loving me.
Connie Luder, an amazing English teacher who didn't let me get away with anything. English was my best subject and one semester I decided to screw around and not do my homework, so she gave me a "D". I was shocked that she would do that. But she said I deserved it, and I better shape up, so I did.
Eileen Filatreau, a wonderful friend of my mom's who spent a lot of time with us kids. We hadn't talked to her for many years, and when my mom died this June, she tracked us kids down to see how we were doing.
Janet Anderson, a daughter of one my mom's friends who used to take us kids to the beach, a lot. She was a cool girl and I remember feeling that we were worth her time.
Bill Guptill, Managing Partner at a CPA firm I used to work at shortly after my divorce many years ago. He helped me write my budget and get me out of debt. He saw something in me and spent probably more time than most bosses would.
Joyce Gruman, fiercely loved me even when we didn't get along.
Ed Gruman, an angel who came into my life during a time I really needed him. During the several years I was struggling with direction in my life, he continued to love and accept me for me. I felt rejected by the church and Christians and he would always say, "God loves you", that's what matters. It doesn't matter what other people think," and he would smile with an amazing confidence. When I would be worried or scared, he would say, "Don't fret." His acceptance helped me to quit feeling ashamed and ask for God's help about 15 years ago, who by the way, scooped me up quickly and gently tossed me back to the shore.
Ronald Harmon, my dad who allowed us to find each other again in our own ways and has been a great support and strength to me these last several years. His wisdom is profound and his love for me carries me along as I trudge forward in this life.

All of these people have been given to me by God and I thank him for them. They were just being themselves, the people God made them to be, in my life, and I thank them for it.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the support many of these people gave you and the rest of us. I enjoy looking into your soul. Well done.

    ReplyDelete