Friday, January 29, 2010

On "Purpose" (A Poem by Cathy Gruman)


His will
my will
uphill
downhill
you
me
yours
mine;
where will i be tomorrow?
Everything i am is thine.
If i say no
will you say yes
should i go
should i stay
if i take that step today
will you stop me
for my sake
or yours,
or his or hers or theirs?
Can i depend on you
and you alone;
and should i pick up that stone that was just thrown
or leave it be, silently.
Every now and then i hear your voice;
it's in my heart
and it's my choice.
Some will say to do this or that
they see my life from where they're at
pretending not to hurt or cry
everything's fine,
they won't whine
because if they show some fear or weakness
perhaps the truth might hurt and they will be found out;
so a smile they keep
pretending along
singing and dancing the same boring song -
"How are you?" "Oh, I'm great, thanks!"
"I am this and I am that"
But, could revealing pain and shame bring possible triumph
in this walk through hills, valleys, walls, fences and windows without a frame?
Does a soft petal have the same impact as a "bull in a china shop?"
Now back to You from that aside.
Occasional hurt is fine, i say
as long as you pick me up even when I do not pray,
and there is a purpose for everything under the sun;
it's what you've said
and what you meant -
to some absurb
but others peace,
and knowing that if i go this way or that
with a soft and open heart
i will find my way
as long as of you I am part.

1 comment: