Saturday, October 3, 2009

10 Things to Do When You're Broke

Sometimes I get blue when I'm broke. It's easy to have fun when I've got cash, just jump in the car and go shopping for things I supposedly need, like more clothes, stuff for my apartment, books, coffee, food (I need food, but don't have to eat out all the time), movies, driving around aimlessly, wasting gas; then I land home with a bunch of bags and more trash in my car and have this false feeling like I've accomplished something. Of course it goes away quickly. It's all good and fun and not necessarily bad when balanced, but sometimes I think these things are just filling a void, because oftentimes when I don't have money, I act like I don't have anything to do, like I'm deprived. Nothing could be further from the truth. So, in case you're bored, blue or demotivated today because you're short on cash, (or not short on cash, but just demotivated and blue), try one or more from this list and see how you feel:

1-Do 10 minutes of stretching and breathing (keep it simple)
2-Take a 10-20 minute walk
3-Call 3 friends you haven't talked to in a while just to say hello and see how they're doing. Try not to talk too much about yourself.
4-Go to the library and browse through the geography section and spend at least 30 minutes in a book about another country or state.
5-Go on line and search for volunteer opportunities in your community
6-Write a list of 10 specific small tasks you need/want to do that day and try to do them. The list can be super simple, but it feels good when it's done.
Sample List (1dishes; 2call so and so; 3make bed; 4read 10 minutes; 5find receipt to....; 6clean trash out of car; 7wash one load of laundry; 8make bed; 9check out classes online; 10 watch favorite DVD)
7-find a local public garden, big or small, and take a walk through it.
8-look out for an elderly person who needs help with whatever they are doing at the moment and ask them, "do you need help?"
9-if you're not atheist and even if you're not Catholic, go to a local Catholic Church and light a candle, lifting someone in your life up in prayer. I'm not Catholic, but it doesn't matter, it's a special thing to do.
10-if you have 2 bucks, go to a coffee shop and bring a pad of paper. buy a cup of coffee and sit for about 30 minutes, drink your coffee and write a list of everyone in your life and everything you are thankful for. If there are people you need to thank, put that on your list for tomorrow.

For what it's worth.... have a great day! Cate

No comments:

Post a Comment