Friday, October 23, 2009

Bonnie's Place - Chapter One (by Cathy Gruman)

I've been writing this short story (or novella, or whatever it ends up being), for a few years now. It's longer than a short story and not long enough for a novel, hence, novella. Picture it in the form of a hand held size book, sort of like what Hemmingway's Novella's are on, like "The Red Pony" and "Old Man and the Sea". At least, that's what I'm picturing it to be. Hemmingway! She thinks she writes like Hemmingway? No way! I can assure you, I think I write like crap, but if I'm going to get any better, I have to look up to my guys and gals in the literary world and say to myself, if them, why not me? What's keeping me from finishing this book, I don't know, but I thought I would write a chapter at a time on my blog here, and maybe that will do the trick. It's a work in progress and needs a lot of work, so I'm sure I'll be back to do some editing now and then. But for today, here's the first chapter of "Bonnie's Place" in it's current form. Thanks for reading.... Cate.

BONNIE'S PLACE
Chapter One
"Happy Birthday"

Happy Birthday Bonnie! Blow out the candles! "Phhhhhhpppppthhhhh!" Bonnie stretches forward as far as her little body will allow and after a couple of attempts, she blows out the candles. It's her fourth birthday, and she's surrounded by her mom and dad, grandpa and grandma, auntie Jeanie and a few close friends of the family. She's especially excited about Abbie, her cousin and Sam her neighbor being here. Her face is lit up with awe and excitement. With an ear to ear smile, she looks up at mom and dad, the kind of smile a child gives when all she knows is love, when life is new and fresh and mom and dad are always there. Uninhibited. But as the room breaks out with song, "Happy Birthday Bonnie! Happy Birthday Bonnie!", she is overwhelmed and starts to cry and mommy picks her up. "It's okay baby, we love you! We're just singing Happy Birthday." Mom gives her a kiss on the cheek and Bonnie's face returns to smiles and giggles. Her once teared cheeks are smiles again and she looks at the cake before her. As if it were a magnificent challenge, she sticks her hand in the frosting and laughter fills the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment